Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight: Ryan (1 Mile Cheer Station Commander)

Volunteer extraordinaire

Meet Ryan, our wonderful all around Run for Mobility volunteer. Not only has he been with us for the past few years helping out on Race Day, but he has also helped us for our Run for Mobility Dine and Dash Dinner, plus has help out throughout the months leading up to the event.

"Hi, my name is Ryan Wallace and I am a student at UC Irvine. I am majoring in Biological Sciences with a Minor in Civic and Community Engagement. I found Free Wheelchair Mission through one of my classes for my minor, and am thankful that I did. 

I started volunteering as part of my class in Community Engagement, but once the quarter was over I found myself attached to Free Wheelchair Mission and changed by my experiences with it.
 
Last year I began volunteering as a Run for Mobility volunteer, doing all sorts of different jobs including pushing chairs at the starting line of the marathon. This year I once again participated as a volunteer for the Run for Mobility and I was given the privilege of leading a whole group of young volunteers who supported the one-milers and gave great encouragement to the runners in appreciation for all their hard work. I love music, helping people, going to the beach, and most of all spending my free time with my Pomeranian Skuttles!"

With Scuttles

With FWM Staff Ashley
With his 1 Mile volunteers
A special thanks to Ryan for his continued support throughout the years, his enthusiasm and new ideas, for fitting us into his busy school schedule, and for always being up for making the long drive to Irvine!

No comments:

Post a Comment