Thursday, March 10, 2011

FWM Run Staff: Ashley & Ariel

Meet your Run for Mobility 2011 staff - Ashley and Ariel!
(Or as they're known around the office, A² , or the A-Team!) 


Ashley's Story

Vietnam Distribution

Ashley Herron, events manager, has been with Free Wheelchair Mission since 2007.  In that time, she has worked with hundreds of R4M runners as well as individuals and groups around the country.  She says of her involvement with FWM, “From the first time from the first time I watched videos on the website, I knew that I had to be involved with this organization, whether as a volunteer or staff member.  The mission captured my heart at that moment.”  She was blessed to travel to Vietnam in 2010 to distribute wheelchairs. 

Ariel's Story

Up and Running
"I joined Free Wheelchair Mission as the Run for Mobility Coordinator in July 2011. I’ve had the pleasure of working with all kinds of athletes leading up to race weekend, and have loved every minute related to planning and running this event!

I have a background in special events and athletic fundraising, and was thrilled to join the FWM team. I also have a deep personal connection to running. In 2007, I was in a car accident that resulted in the amputation of my right leg below the knee. I ran track in high school, and was determined to get back on my feet again. After months of rehabilitation simply learning to walk again, I finally received my first running prosthesis and took off. It was the most incredible moment of my life - I will treasure it forever. Since then, I've participated in several 5K races, and competed in some track events in Oklahoma, and even trained at the USA Olympic training center in Chula Vista, CA with the US Paralympic Track Coach! I know firsthand what it's like to be in a wheelchair and to feel like you can't take care of yourself. I feel so blessed to have access to the medical care and prosthetic technology that allow me to live my life independently, and so glad to be a part of an organization so close to my heart."



No comments:

Post a Comment